Pages

28 April 2013

Enjoy the Journey

It's a quite Sunday morning, and every being in my house is sleeping. The cat, dogs, husband, sister and our daughter- all peacefully dreaming. I've already woken up early, nursed my daughter, spent play time with her and put her down for a nap. And while she lays in her crib, sleeping with her knees curled up to her chest and her hand covering one eye, I'm doing what I always do. Reflecting. Am I being a good enough mother? Wife? Daughter? Sister? Friend?

Olivia will be five months next week. I can't believe how quickly the time has passed, and will continue to pass. I will blink and the next thing I know we'll be celebrating Olivia's first birthday. All I can do is revel in each beautiful ordinary moment with her. To enjoy our play times on her bedroom floor. To watch her quietly as she studies her hands and feet. I need to be sure and take every opportunity to kiss her naked belly and hear her glorious giggle. This journey will take a lifetime, and every single moment is precious.

Yesterday was the type of day that only a mother can appreciate. It was perfectly ordinary, consisting of nursing, naps, play times, and a trip to the grocery store. There was bath time, "super baby" airplane time,  and tummy time. There were moments when Olivia would stare at my face, mesmerized by my eyes and the way her hand can now intentionally touch my cheeks, chin, nose and mouth (and yes, pull on my hair and anything else within reach). There was no stress, no rushing, no crying, no fighting. There was no mommy guilt. I got to spend the entire day with my baby. Yesterday was blissfully and perfectly ordinary. I loved it.

Our house is filled with genuine effortless love. The kind of loves that fills you up so much you feel it spilling out of you. This is exactly what I have always wanted.



The only thing I can wish for is more time. More time together as a family, not just time with one person while the others are busy. More time to relax and enjoy. More time to reflect and realize how truly blessed we all are. But what can we possibly sacrifice to create more time? When one of you figures it out, please let me in on the secret. Because I've now come to the conclusion that "more time" doesn't exist. We just need to appreciate the time we have now and live in the moment. We need to enjoy the journey every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment