Pages

17 August 2013

My Last Year as a Twenty-Something

Well, here we go. I am composing this blog post on the first day of my last year in my twenties. Does that mean this blog, titled "Making Sense of the Twenty-Somethings, " must be retired? Hell no. I have decided that this is my first of many 29th birthdays.

I started this blog as an outlet to help me work out the many life changing things that go on in one's twenties. This particular 10-year span is filled with some of life's most complicated changes: choosing your life direction, working through relationships, understanding adulthood, developing a career, getting married, starting a family....and those are just the biggies. Granted, I've done a poor job at updating it and usually forget this blog even exists. But today I feel a post is necessary. This birthday feels different and significant.

You see, this is my first birthday as a mother. I now have a very different perspective. Twenty nine years ago I came into this world as a helpless and needy little baby. Year after year I changed, grew, made mistakes and became the person I am today. And I honestly have to say that I am proud of who I am. But my life would never be what it is without the family that raised me. My parents who taught me everything from eating with a spoon to tying my shoe laces. My grandmother who played an avid role in caring for me on a daily basis and spoiling me with york peppermint patties from the Acme despite my mom's "no sweets" rule. My sister who let me tag along with her everywhere and taught me how to come out of my shell and be a good friend. This day is not about just me. It's about everyone involved in making me who I am.

You see, birthdays are not just about presents and cake. It's about everyone who plays a part in creating  and caring for you. But there is one person in this equation who undeniably did more than anyone else. From my new perspective as a mom, I truly feel like birthdays should strongly be about the women who gave birth to us. My mother gave me life. She carried me for nine months and endured physical pain bringing me into this world. She sacrificed so much for me, things that I am only beginning to understand, to make sure I was physically and emotionally cared for. She nurtured and protected me, starting from the day she peed on that little white stick and got a positive result. It's not something to be taken lightly. I am forever grateful for her. So on my birthday, I'd like to honor my mother. Good job, Mom. You made one kick-ass kid (well, two kick-ass kids actually). I'm still learning new things from you everyday, despite our distance. I love you. Happy "You Gave Birth Today" Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment